Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress strain graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBar

Civil/Environmental
Oct 15, 2003
HK
I have recently started using MathCAD and am trying to produce a stress strain curve using the graph feature.

I have managed to draft a bar chart but am unable to convert this to a flow chart featuring flow lines. can anyone please help.

Cheers Big Bars

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some codes of practice (i.e. BS5400, Eurocode 2) present some equations describing stress strain relation relation for either steel or concrete. One can also obtain them from experimental or any other discreet data by using "genfit" or "pwfit" functions. Check Help for these functions.

Success

I have used the Ramberg-Osgood stress
strain model. It only requires the root
finder of MathCAD when looking for the
stress at a given strain because the
stress is implicitly expressed in terms
of a known or assumed strain.

Best regards,

The MatheMagician :)

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing myself. I broke the problem down into the 3 pieces: the elastic part is an easy linear relationship, and the tensile and compressive plastic deformation zones are curve-fit using "linfit".
I use an "if" statement to put the 3 parts back together, and now have a continuous function from UTS to UCS that is expressed as:

stress(strain)=_*ksi

so I can type:

stress(0.001*in/in)=20*ksi

Generate the chart with a series of strains in the x-axis, and the function solved for the strains in the y-axis.

Have fun!

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back