Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stress Tensor Transformation within Cylindrical Coordinates

Status
Not open for further replies.

kost

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2020
TR
Hi. I am having diffuculty in figuring out stress transformation from cylindrical coordinates to cylindrical coordinates. It is pretty easy in cartesian c. system with direction cosines to move the tensor x y z to x’ y’ z’ by [σ’]=[D][σ][D]^-1. Transferring cylindrical to cartesian is also available. However, I cannot find anything about r θ z to r’ θ‘ z’(neither for spherical c.) Any suggestion like referring a textbook is welcomed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

how about cylindrical to cartesian to cylindrical ? Then seeing that transformation, you may be able to see the direct transformation ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Any text book dealing with stress analysis covers that transformation.

Thanks @rb but it’s a bit cumbersome.

@Hacksaw, I am pretty sure either you’re being provocative or wasn’t able to catch. Refer me any book with its chapter. I’ll present my apologies.

I think it's only cumbersome in the way it's presented.

There's a "simple" transformation matrix from cylindrical to cartesian, call it [T1]
and a "simple" transformation from cartesian to cylindrical, call it [T2]
I've used different symbols as you want different parameters, [T2} is not the inverse of [T1] (that would return you to the original cylindrical co-ords ... yes?

so to transform from cylindrical to cylindrical its "just" [T2]*[T1]

and in the land of the blind (ie no other solution) then the one-eyed man (the cumbersome solution) is king.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back