Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stresses from ABAQUS output

Status
Not open for further replies.

compe_ad

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2022
US
I am modeling a concrete cylinder compression test (see attached). Loading is applied along z direction, and I am checking the sigma_33 stresses. I am having maximum signma_33 at the element centroid around 78 MPa (see attached graph). I don't get it why it is higher than the ultimate concrete strength of concrete (58 MPa).
Can you please help me understand why I am getting stresses higher than the ultimate stress of concrete that I have defined in the properties?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d42d773e-a450-4a71-8878-5ce8f9494427&file=model.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

definedVS_observed_gbhlhz.jpg

Please take a look at this.

I've been this situation before, I also didn't see why the reason, but in my case, I was using a stirups and the concrete ultimate strength increase from 52 to 57, I am assuming that it is caused by the stirups, since the lateral confining pressure increase the concrete strength. I see you are working on a dynamic analysis, perhaps you should consider the concrete failure, so ABAQUS know that when it reaches the ultimate stress, the concrete will fail ( you can refer to that video from youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back