Stringer repair at B767, B737, B777

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zim64

Oct 2, 2007
IL
Good day,
I have a question:
it is acceptable to plug hole in radius with rivet or need to repair stringer per standard SRM repair (trim damaged area)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

unlikely anyone will say "yes, deviate from the SRM". You can of course, if you get a repair design approval/certificate.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Need more details.
A figure would help. Where exactly is the hole? And how did the hole occur? What is the actual hole geometry vs the stringer geometry?
How exactly are you going to plug a hole in the radius?
This probably cannot be answered generically; likely depends on specific location.
To deviate from SRM you likely need Boeing approval or DER approval.

Thanks to All,
In general, I am familiar with approval procedure of Boeing or DER if repair deviate from SRM
just we have a dispute.
I don't want to bore you with details, only to understand if you met this type of repair (plug with soft rivet) in your practice.
(Hole was drilled by mistake in radius between flange attached to skin and stringer web)

Thank you very match

Zim64... welcome to Eng-Tips... please don't be a stranger... long-term participation in ET could be useful to your knowledge and experience growth...

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

please bore us with the details if you any real help.

something I find "odd" is how you list three Boeing models ... if a hole was drilled by mistake, then it'd be a specific airplane, one model.

From what you've posted I think your problem (a hole drilled through the bend rad of a stringer) is unlikely to be solved with a quick "plug and pray".
Being Boeing, I suspect a U or "hat" stringer ? How close to the other rivets ? Aluminium yes? (ie not composite, graphite).
Where in the plane ? near a spar frame ? near a pressure bulkhead ? in the no-pressurised fuselage ??

Without having a good reason not to, I'd go with an SRM stringer repair.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back