Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

strip lining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Sep 25, 2003
VE
I am trying to find some literature or specification on strip lining. Have to apply 1/8" 304l liner to 3/4"SA516-70 plate. Do I weld with 309 or do I have to use two passes, one 309 and one 304L. How wide a strip do I use for 60" ID and 50 psi design pressure. what is usual gap between strips. Vessel has to be process stress relieved, will this be any problem for strips?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If these are loose strip liners (like wall paper), they will be seal welded along the perimeter. I would consider straight E309L weld rod for seal welding the liner to the carbon steel substrate. As far as liner width and length, it is really up to the contractor to decide because warpage of the loose liners from exposure to post weld heat treatment of the vessel could be a problem ( stainless steel expands at a greater rate than carbon steel). I don’t believe there should be any gaps between the edges of the liners, the edges should be butted together for seal welding.

What are your service conditions for the pressure vessel?

One option to using strip liners is to evaluate strip cladding. The strip is the welding electrode and is deposited by SAW or ESAW processes for high deposition rates. The strip cladding will be fused to the carbon steel substrate, and will not warp from post weld heat treatment of the vessel. Something to give serious consideration.

Please comment about this procedure.
- Root distance of lining plates will be 8 mm for longitudinal joint and 5 mm for circumferential joint.
- AWS E309 will be used for the first layer of weld.
- AWS E308L will be used for second layer of weld.
- Welding seam shall be checked for soundness with liquid penetration test (PT).

- What is the width of your strip lining plate?
- What is the design and operating temperature?
- In my understanding, PWHT would be a problem. Can you choose other materials for strip lining?

PAN;
Your strip lining procedure looks acceptable, and root gaps of 8 and 5 mm or less are ok. I am not a big fan of strip liners. I have seen problems with warpage and thermal fatigue cracking along the seal welds, over time.

You leave the strip-to-shell welds exposed? In some cases they are covered with secondary strips that are welded to the liner.
I see it strictly as a question of weld dilution. If your welds end up with acceptable surface chemistry then everything looks good.
The only failures of lined vesseles that I have ever directly worked with have involved sudden and unplaned drops in pressue sucking the liners off of the walls.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back