Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strip Load surcharge on Sheet pile wall with sloped backfill

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunera

Civil/Environmental
Apr 13, 2009
US
I am doing analysis on a sheet pile headwall for a CMP culvert under a railroad. I have been looking but have been able to figure out how to determine the lateral pressure from a strip load surcharge when the backfill has a 1:2 slope. I orginally just used the Bousinesq formula, but because of the slope and distance from the centerline of track, it seems that this may be much too conservative.

I was looking at this thread thread255-150849 , the last post mentions a reference from Poland, and I really wish I knew the exact source so that I could include it in my calculations, at least for why the surcharge won't need to be included. Does anybody know of a publication that refers to how to calculate the "Clear distance to surcharge"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

lunera,

In lieu of better references, find the Caltrans Shoring and Foundation Manual (readily available on the Web). If you really have these uncertainties, call in an experienced geotechnical engineer to help you.

Jeff

What is the strip surcharge loading from? Normally the headwall would be "in line with" the embankment and wouldn' have a surcharge - the only "surcharge" would be the track loading by the train but it would be on level ground at the top of the 2:1 embankment slope. Have you done a quick Culmann Method??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back