Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stripper Large Turndown and Design Equations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiCl4

Chemical
May 1, 2019
CA
I have a water remediation stripper than was used to strip out 1,1,1-tricholorethane as well as dichloroethane and dichloroethene. For the past few years, though, it has been turned off. The original design of this is nowhere to be found, so I'm having to reconstruct the design from bits of data I can collect. The governing environmental authority is now requiring a restart, but at a different target flowrate than before the shutdown.

The flow rate before shutdown was approximately 50 gpm. I believe the original tower design had 120 gpm or so, which was likely changed to 50 gpm approximately a decade ago.

Now, the environmental authority is wanting to restart with a 8-15 gpm. To my mind, this presents some issues with mixing and channeling in the tower due to the extremely low flow. I have a few questions and concerns, detailed below:

First, some data on the stripper. The inlet concentrations in the liquid phase are dilute - in the 10-50 ug/L (ppb) range. The tower is a 3' OD with 3.5 LANPAC random packing, approximately 15' of packed height. The nozzle is a BETE Fog NC3096, with a flow of approximately 150 gpm at 20 psig and 64 gpm at 3 psig. The blower is unknown, but is a 1HP reverse blade blower. Likely air flow rate is in the 1,500 - 2,000 cfm range. Henry's constant, from NIST, for 1,1,1-TCE is 1.47*10^(-6)/bar.

Question 1
For stripping, is the equilibrium slope (the term "m" in EQN 14-28 in Perry's 7th Edition) simply the Henry's law constant? I.e. yi = H * xi?

Question 2
In the absence of experimental data, Perry's seems to rely on estimations of H(OL) from various sources. Would these references even be valid for such a low turndown case? In essense, 8-15 gpm will trickle out of the current nozzle in a stream and only distribute itself over a little bit of the packing, essentially channeling down the column and not contacting much of the air. Thus, my thinking is that any assumption of an L/G ratio will not be correct due to this channeling.

Question 3
If channeling in Q2 above is indeed an issue, would putting on a new spray nozzle to distribute the liquid across the full 3' be sufficient to treat this as a normal column calculation? If so, would contacting LanPac directly be the best way to estimate the HL (height of the liquid phase transfer unit)?

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out if we need to increase flow back to the original 50 gpm, change the spray nozzle to get good coverage, or get a new, smaller stripper tower.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Q1)Correct- see the previous page - narrative before eqn 14-23
Q2)The Company manual I use says the 8gpm flowrate meets the minimum liquid wetting rate of 0.5mm/sec for structured packing - in this case, it is 0.77mm/sec. There is no discussion on the min liquid wetting rate for random packing, but indications are 8gpm should be okay. However, random packing performs poorly at low liquid loadings (lower mass transfer eff) and should not be used.
Q3)A liquid distributor above the packed bed is a MUST in this application, and liquid distributors designed by structured packing vendors should be used

Stripping equation 14-40 would be more appropriate in this case I think. See the Hayden O Connell graph Fig 14-7 ( which I've found to be matching quite well with established values for plate ( bubble cap, valve tray eff) and the example 4 calculation for acetone stripping on page 14-12. For structured packing, think there is no choice but to ask the structured packing vendor if they have experimental data for Hol for this. Otherwise, you could opt for bubble cap or valve trays - the min required wetting rate is 0.15mm/sec, so you are well in the clear with 8gpm. And you can use the Hayden O Conell tray eff value from Fig 14-7. With plate type trays, a liquid distributor isnt required.

A mistmat above the liquid distributor will help to prevent liquid entrainment out into the exit air stream. Check also that open area of the chimney risers on the bottom chimney tray is at least 20% of column cross sectional area.

Hi,
Some data about your packing. To me you still have possibility to recycle some liquid to improve the contact L/G.
The spay nozzles have been designed for a certain flowrate, you cannot reduce it too much, the reason why the recycling is necessary.
You don't need distributor on the top if sprays are used, distributors are required if the water is introduced through nozzle (feed and recycling).
Indeed, a mist eliminator is needed.

Pierre

Thanks for the advice, all.

Georgeverghese said:
Stripping equation 14-40 would be more appropriate in this case I think.
Why? That equation pertains to tray strippers, and this is a packed tower.

A follow-up question on notation in these equations. Can anyone tell me what the subscript "BM" stands for? I cannot find an explanation in Perry's - they just introduce the term with no explanation.

I have a similar question for the superscript "o" (degree sign) above a "y" or "x". One part right before 14-20 seems to indicate it means the log-mean mole fraction. If so, does that mean the log mean of yin, yout, xin, and xout (y1, y2, x1, and x2 in Perry's)?

Agreed, Eqn 14-40 is meant for plate type towers. See table 14-5 also on selection of plate type configuration.
See page 5-45 for symbols and subscript descriptors. BM = bulk mean

Organic chlorinated components from wastewater are stripped with steam with an atmospheric stripper. Is it your case ???. At so low content of contaminants, we usually design a tray stripper, but if you already as a packing column, operational conditions should be designed to have a recycle stream to reach the required liquid of the packing, is it possible to do that??

EPA knows that steam stripping of organic chlorinated components is an efficient process, It is standard for the EDC/VCM process.

horacio

linkedin.com/in/horacio-torres-molina-429a7b1b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back