Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structuered Packing in Vacuum Towers Stripping Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

qazx

Chemical
Oct 26, 2002
GB
Could structured packings be used in Vacuum Towers Stripping Section? Is there any one that has experience on such application? What are the bottlenecks and difficulties?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, qazx

No need for using structured packings in VDU stripping section, since it doesn't affect flash zone operating conditions.
I would expect, in such case, very serious fouling/flooding problems. Well designed and properly installed trays are more than enough.

MaNaTMoS

P.S.
Ensure that your steam distributors stay above the liquid level in the bottom of the column.

What are the differences in vacuum tower arrangements for medium and heavy crude with the same No. of products (LVGO, MVGO, LLC, HLC, Slops and Vacuum Residue)?I mean No. of Beds, No. of refluxes and their location, location of side draws with respect to packing beds and No. of packing beds between two side draws.

Concerning strippers it appears that the major friction drop that may impair their performance lies in the vapor line connecting the stripper to the main tower.

The friction drop in those lines are about proportional to fifth power of their internal diameter (d[sub]i[/sub][sup]5[/sup]).

Thus sometimes enlarging the diameter of these pipes by one size may markedly reduce the back-pressure to the strippers allowing for more steam to be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back