Structural Assessment of Not-so-old Existing Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

notpasible

Structural
Nov 29, 2020
PH
Hi all.

I would like to know your opinion on a project that I am working on. It was designed on 2014/15 and construction was completed on 2017. The structure is a concrete mid-rise structure, designed using the 2010 edition of our code (equivalent to ASCE 7-10, ACI 318-08, seismic provisions from UBC 1997). Now, the client wanted to assess if the structure is up to the standards of the latest code applicable (2015 edition - equivalent to ASCE 7-10, ACI 318-11, seismic provisions from UBC 1997). Should this structure be investigated using ASCE 41-17 since it is already an existing structure, or does analyzing it using the latest set of codes be sufficient considering that it is a relatively "young" building? I am not quite sure what to use since the differences between the 2010 and 2015 editions of our local code are quite few. I would also like to add that we have no codes or standards enforced in the assessment of existing structures. Some engineers in our country already practice using ASCE 41, while some are analyzing existing structures against the latest set of codes.

I am hoping to hear your feedback on this. Thank you all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess the biggest question is why?

Your question seems to answer itself. Since the edition of ASCE 7 and the UBC didn't change, those seem to be moot. They designed it to ACI 318-08, the owner wants to know if it meets ACI 318-11. See what changed between the two, and if those changes are applicable to the building determine the impact on the design requirements.

If it doesn't and the owner is concerned for some reason, then ASCE 41 would be helpful for the design of a retrofit.

If the question is "was this designed and built in a way that complies with the current code" then I'd probably use 41 for the evaluation but modify the acceptance criteria as needed to fit the specifics of your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back