Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

structural concrete foundation with no steel reinforcement inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

salman85

Geotechnical
Dec 23, 2011
ID
Hello..

i recently deal with foundation of shunt reactor (type air insulated reactor) equipment. The requirement state that there is not allowed any metal in range 4540 mm any direction.
If the shunt reactor equipment can not be elevated by something like column structure as vertical support (non metal material), hence the foundation shall not contain any metal material (steel reinforcement bars) too.

Possibly the foundation material could be concrete fiberglass.

Does anyone know, how to analyse and the standard code of structural concrete fiberglass as subtitution of steel reinforcement?
Does any alternative material beside fiberglass to subtitute the use of steel reinforcement bars?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you are talking "basalt rebar" and it is doable. Just google it. It is of a higher strength, like 80 to 120 psi, just cannot be field bent, only shop fabricated.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

I second Retrograde. Does the footing need to be reinforced? ACI 318 Ch. 22 tells you how to design unreinfroced (plain) concrete footings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back