Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Design of Building in ETABS software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pukar Sharma

Structural
Jul 5, 2021
NP
While designing the building in ETABS, we do not provide tie beam and plinth beam in the model. Is it correct method of desinging building in FEM software?
Do plinth and tie beams have any contribution in structural behaviour of the building while analysing the building in ETABS?
I am learning ETABS design and encountered this questions. I get confused that which level (plinth or footing) is represented by GF level of building in ETABS?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cef1cc3c-84d3-4eae-8812-f865f8ddef8c&file=analysis_png.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

-If you model the foundation with support fixity model, ( in this case the column conn. to foundation are fixed ) , no need to add the grade beams ,tie beams .. You can design the ftgs or mat with exporting the support reactions to another software. The tie beams and grade beams could be designed with code specified normative loads. If the plinth beams supporting wall or GF slab, the gravity loads shall be added ..
Another models applicable are, ( winkler spring models,half space models...)

The contribution of plinth and tie beams to the analysis depends on the type of modelling.. If you model the ftgs with winkler springs, the tie and plinth beams will be part of MRFs.

I will suggest you to look structural modelling books ( one of them, MOdern Structural Analysis , IAIN Mc LEOD ).. There are worked examples and tutorials on the web which you may follow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back