Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS SOFTWARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedians

Civil/Environmental
Mar 8, 2001
EU
I have a final year project on developing a software which should be able to to dynamic anaylses of buildings whether its a 5 storey or 100 storey . ( dynamic means wind and environment forces ) , so i want to know :-

1) Is there any one here who has made such software on any program ? or any website through where i can find such a software.

2) On which language or program ( like fortran or Visula basic ) should i use to make this software .

3) Is this project has any commerical value ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This project has tremedous practical value. Structural Engineers (earthquake engineers) use this all the time and many of us have made small programs to do this type of application. For example, I have a Mathcad program which does a time-history and response spectra analysis of a planar three story building.

Good Luck

The best way to write software for engineering remains the traditional way, which means Fortran. (AbSoft produce a very powerful compilator for both fortran77 and 90). Don't worry about graphical interface, you could design it in VC++. You could link the two codes (C and Fortran) very easily, compile the fotran code as a dynamic link library
and than link it to your C code.
The main advantage that fortran has against any other language is in manipulating mathematical functions; no other language can do that so easily.
There are a lot of written codes at NISEE site (all of them in fortran), you should start your program based on SAPIV source code. As a matter of fact it was the first great FE software.

best regards,
kope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back