Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Eng salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik1938

Structural
Aug 23, 2005
Similar to another post about wastewater eng salary. I live in Southern California, but I went to school in another state where I recieved my B.S. in Civil eng. I had about 6 months of experience as an intern at a structural company before I applied for my current job and that was 8 months ago.

My boss started me at $16.00/hr for 3-4 weeks until I was up to speed, so to speak. After that he said that we would talk salary. When the time came he told me that he could only pay me $37,500 / year or $18.00/hr. Now this is a small structural company so I am learning a lot. He hired me as an independent contractor, therefore I get no overtime, no medical, or paid time off.

I realize I should not start out making $60k but I think I am under paid. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you could get a better deal somewhere else. I am electrical, but I would guess that a new grad in Civil/structural should start out at 40-45k. Especially in SoCal where housing is far from cheap.

I do not know you're work ethic or how indpendent you are in the workplace, but never the less, 37.5k/year seems low even with benefits. The fact that you get no overtime, medical or PTO makes this deal especially bad in my eyes. It reminds me of when I worked in the restaurant business. If you're an independent contractor, they should pay you like one. Do your homework, talk to your boss about your goals and aspirations within the company. If you can't see eye to eye, at least you tried and won't have to feel bad about working somewhere else should the opportunity arise.

Do you know how much your time is billed per hour?

Good luck.

Even though I believe you could earn a higher "training" wage, if passing the PE is your goal, I would advise caution in arguing over a significant raise with your current employer. Don't get me wrong, he deserves to be confronted about a pay increase for a certain graduate. But if you want to count the eight months as credit toward qualifying, you might make your best case for a salary adjustment, take what he gives and earn your keep for another 11 months, while acing your assignments and asking question after question. If you still need your EIT, pass it as soon as you can.

You could find another job, if you want. Then, if I were you, I would try to leave on the best terms possible and leave open the possibility of working for an extra year for someone else who will give you a higher training wage, and at least some health insurance! When it comes to qualifying for the PE, you are the the mercy of your references.

(Remember, 2 years to qualify for the PE in California--experience Back East counts, and if you have learned a lot of practical skills along the way, you might be able to write your own ticket with another firm.)

If you think you can find a better job somewhere else, then go ahead. But really, value the experience more than the pay. Once you work there for a year, then start looking again for a job that pays much better. Once you are good with auto cad and also have design experience, I think you can find job easier and be more selective. It was hard for me to land on my current design job. But I think if I were quittng, I can find other job a lot easier now. Good luck!

Erik1938,

You are probably one of the lowest paid engineers in the USA. From my experience, if you start out low you will always be paid low, unless the firm is a real good one that is profitable and values its staff. In my opinion, you should get a new job ASAP. I seriously doubt that the firm that you are working for is anything other than a "low baller" who does the projects that no good firm wants.

Structural Engineer magazine conducts a annual salary survey and here is the link.
SEAOC used to publish a comprehensive salary survey in the past but I haven't seen any recent ones published.

Being hired as an independent contractor with your hourly rate is a warning sign. Entry level engineers usually get hired as a regular employees with benefits. More experienced engineers with other obligations (own company, etc) are the usual independent contractors who help out the overflow at higher than normal rates.

That's better than what I had to start at in order to get some experience. When you need a job, you have to do what you have to do. If it's good experience, and your boss is knowledgeable and willing to share, it's probably worth the cut. The knowledge and experience offset the wage.

If you aren't getting anything, go somewhere else. There's no need to get four years experience in garbage and have nothing to show for it.

in my opinion you are being under paid. I assume southern cal. is a higher cost of living than the south east where I live. We hire new grads in ME, EE, etc. for around 45 - 50K

It really depends on the job market. While SoCal is expensive, it's because there's a large demand for living here. This drives down the competitive price.

Even a doctor may get less in SoCal than in other, less desirable locations. And it's a pretty dramatic difference; ~$150K vs ~$250K for family practice.

TTFN

I think you're getting the proverbial shaft. I believe your boss is taking advantage of you. Talk to a recruitement center in a local college.

You are SERIOUSLY underpaid. I made that much after one year of experience and I got medical, dental and vision coverage, free life insurance ($150,000), 3% match to my 401k, 8 1/2 holidays, and two weeks vacation. AND THAT WAS IN 1995!!!

I agree with cousink that you must leave on good terms because, as he says, your references do count when you get your P.E.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I am going to talk to him today, but I want to leave on good terms, unless he gives me a raise.

I agree, asking for a job while unemployed can be a tough sell to some potential employers, even with a good story. By the way, I would be interested to know the outcome of your talk.

All i have to say is that he is lucky he found a job that actually does DESIGN!!!! With civil engineering degree a lot of new engineers only get to do field work with very little or no design experience at all. I am not saying you deserve only $18/hour but I rather be doing that than getting pad $23/hour working out in the field getting design experience. Once you work without any design experience for a while, you will probably never design anything in your "civil engineering" career.

If you find another design job with better pay, then yes leave that job. If I were you, I would keep my mouth shut and learn as much as I can for at least 1 year and start looking for another job or ask for a big raise.

"With civil engineering degree a lot of new engineers only get to do field work with very little or no design experience at all."

but i think field work is incredibly important for a design engineer. everything we do is on a set of drawings, and until we see it in place....it doesn't carry the levity that it should.

my boss threw me in as the lead on a threshold job and i had to see the entire building built from the ground up before i could even begin to smell the computer programs. and that experience was probably the most important experience that i've ever had. much more so than just sitting behind the desk running numbers because at the end of the day, you won't develop your natural intuition from looking at a calculation pad.

Field with only taking data, write report, use testing equipment etc. I was doing that for 1 year and hardly ever used my calculator. Yes, field work is important. You will get enough field work once you start designing stuff.

I hire entry level engineers (bridge designers) at between $40K and $46 K,full benefits(medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D etc), 401K, employee stock purchase plan. Location is Southeastern US. In So Cal I would think you could find a position with equal compensation and most likely better.

I would agree that you should consider asking for an adjustment to at least pay you equal to what other local companies are paying, and even if you get what you are asking get your resume out there.

If you want to make more $$ the best way to do it is by switching jobs, but get as much as you can when you get your initial offer to cover a 2%-4% raise a year until you are ready to switch jobs again.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back