Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillespie

Structural
Aug 3, 2009
US
Does anyone have any recommendations for engineering software.
I need to do simple moment frame and braced frame calculations using mostly wood and steel.

The customer support for the company I've been using is driving me crazy.

Reener.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like LateralWorx and have been using it for the last few months, with great support. (Before that, I was using a cumbersome spreadsheet-type program, with quite poor customer support). With this program (LateralWorx), you basically import your CAD floor plans into it, indicate the locations, sizes, and loading of your diaphragms with shear walls, and then it will do the rest, including generating a CAD drawing with the shear walls and holddowns already on it. It's quite amazing, really.

They are coming up with a new program called FramingWorx that will automatically design your beams, posts, balloon frame walls, and will work hand-in-hand with LateralWorx. For example, any dead loads generated by FramingWorx will be used directly to resist uplift on shear walls.

They have a special offer for the month of September. Google "LateralWorx" for their website, which has a flash demo you can watch.

John

I use Enercalc. It's very simple to use and have been using it for years. You can download a full version to try for while before you buy it. You can also "lease" it which is what I'm doing to postpone costs. Tech support is one guy (Mike) and he is always on the computer.
Good luck.

I have been using VisualAnalysis for over a decade. V8.0 has integrated design for most structural materials based on current codes. They are a s small group of engineer-developers and very user-friendly folks. They have been doing a series of free webinars on Thursday to help folks get the most out of the software (some seminars require a bit of experience with the software). When I started in my prior position it was the most reasonably priced package out there. They have moved to a subscription-based purchase option similar to AutoCAD (if you choose to go that way). Geometry can easily be imported from a DXF file if you want (it's not bi-directional). I highly recommend checking it out.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

I like RISA3D like Mike. I've also used enercalc but the new platform they are using I found mistakes in there software everytime I tried to use it so I discontinued my license. They did work to correct the mistakes I reported but I lost my faith in the program.

John Southard, M.S., P.E.

I got the update for the new '10 CBC from LateralWorx, and the updated/revised program is even easier to use, having used it (the revised program) on two projects now including a rather complex 3-story building.

Support continues to be very prompt and thorough. Both engineers there are not only PE's but PhD's.

John

We use sap2000 or etabs.etabs is a structural only software.sap is for every enginiering science.
I know that this is the first and formal program.it is easy and it has the "help" tool which is very easy to use.

Okay, I just downloaded Building Worx from Structural Soft and did my first project with it. In short, I think this program is amazing.

The way it basically works is, you import your CAD drawings into this program. After inputting the loads and building information, you then quickly outline the building's walls, define the openings, and the framing type and direction.

That's pretty much it. It will run an analysis, tell you where the beam sizes are too small and recalculate the ones you want. It runs the lateral analysis at the same time.

It generates an export-ready DWG drawing with all the framing, headers, posts, holddowns, and shear walls that you then overlay on your plans.

Highly recommended!

John

Building Worx 2011 from Structural Soft is possibly the most user user friendly engineering software out there for complete building analysis.

The pdf tutorials are full of screen shots that really speed up the learning process. The technical support is fantastic! They offer webinars every Thursday and are more than willing to help with individual projects.

In short, there is not a better program out there today for wood buildings.

Building Worx 2011 from Structural Soft is possibly the most user user friendly engineering software out there for complete building analysis.

While it does have a lot of user-friendly features, they are definitely still working out some of the kinks. I will say that once they do that, it will be very user-friendly. Providing a comprehensive user manual would be helpful.

The pdf tutorials are full of screen shots that really speed up the learning process.

The tutorials are nice, but don't explain all the features and options of the program.

The technical support is fantastic!

Meh. I've found it really tough to get someone on the phone, which can be frustrating if you are in the early stages of learning the program and stuck on something. Plus, some issues are better dealt with verbally. Also, the email responses can be very slow. But, I am ultimately getting the answers.

In short, there is not a better program out there today for wood buildings.

I'd agree with this. Overall, I am pretty impressed with the program and its features. They are definitely still working out some of the kinks. And there are a lot more features they could add that would be helpful. But I understand they are still in the infant stages. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who designs a significant number of wood structures.

I have continued to use the program, and find email works best; I usually get a detailed response within hours.

And I just learned StructuralSoft is not sitting back...they're now working on an amazing development to this program that is due sometime around the end of the year.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back