Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Engineering Tutor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseng9

Structural
Oct 27, 2017
US
Would anyone be willing to tutor me on a few concepts I'm trying to improve on. I'm looking to get better at connection design, particularly braced frames and would even like to learn about buckling restrained braces.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not ask some specific questions here on what you are wanting to expand your knowledge on.

Ask a good question and provide sufficient supporting information and you'll have lots of replies/opinions.

I would encourage you to look into the connection design courses run by Dowco, CISC, or AISC to gain some fundamentals. There's no harm in outsourcing a structural engineering tutor online (like this site), but the value of professional development courses with evaluations may be a more efficient way to gain competency.

I agree with skeletron, AISC has a Youtube channel with lots of lectures, night school segments, and seminars. Their latest (4) videos are on "Fundamentals of Connection Design"

Get your hands on some of the AISC design guides. Design guide 29 specifically addresses "Vertical Bracing Connections - Analysis and Design"

You can also download AISC design examples V15 for free which is 1600 pages of member design and connection design.

It is hard to substitute for a good human mentor but this might get you started on some of the concepts you are interested in and help you narrow in on some specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back