Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural frame design without AFX or EFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUNNSA17

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2012
US
Whats the best/easiest/most efficient way to create machine frames without the advanced or expert framework extension. I find myself wasting a lot of time sketching out profiles of c-channels and extruded aluminum profiles. I looked into the framework extension but just cant justify the cost. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There isn't one.
You only have to create each profile once, then use a family table to give lengths and/or profile changes.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I replicated the functionality of EFX as close as possible, using a skeleton model to control lengths and position of profiles with curves. Then in my case imported a dxf of the required profile from the suppliers website, created a 100mm long section, then assembled it into the model and made it flexible with the curve lengths set as the distance parameter. It worked pretty well other than I had loads of different length parts with the same file name.

Designer of machine tools - user of modified screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back