Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Masonry Design 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calif

Structural
Jul 4, 2003
US
Could someone recommend a good beginners book on Structural Masonry Design? I need a good reference since alot of my work is an masonry and I do not have any background in it since I did not take it in college.

THanks

Calif

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Engineered Masonry Design - Limit States Design by Glanville, etc. is one of the best design manuals around for masonry... deals with Canadian Code, but is universal in approach... it may be difficult to find...

Dik

ChipB-
Excellent site!! I added that to my favorites and downloaded several TM's.

Great site Chip!

Other good masonry texts come to mind:

1. Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook 5th Edition by Amrhein: This is a little outdated insofar as the codes have changed but has great examples and is very valuable for procedures. Also the author passed away.

2. Design of Reiforced Masonry Structures by Narendra Taly, excellent resource for any structural engineer's library.

Good Luck

Here are some good stabdards. If you are a member of The Masonry Society (TMS) you can get big discounts. Some of the discounts are also available at the various ACI semeinars given in different areas.

1. - Masonry Designers Guide - 5th Edition.

2. - The 2005 MSJ book version of ACI 530 with the commentary. - The commentary is very valuable because it provides assistance applying the principles to the code and specifications.

3. - Masonry Designing and Detailing by Christine Beall. Christine frequently is a lecturer at the ACI seminars.

4. - Masonry Structures: Behavior and Design. - A very encompassing undated veri=sion of a standard for all parts of the masonry industy.

Dick

Thanks guys.
If you liked that site, you have to figure out what you are looking for in order to get to this section. It's more complete: I came across it as I was trying to figure out how to repair the masonry wall I posted about 6 months ago.

Icenine, did that one go away or did you inherit it from me as well? (sorry)

I would suggest that the Army Corps of Engineers Technical Manual (1992) was rather archaic when issued and is not a current reference for materials, standards and specifications. I though that was the situation when I first encountered the predecessor in the early 1980's.

The mortar comments are mind-boggling and not really relavent to engineered masonry, real quality control and specifications.

Dick

I have used some of the CoE tech manuals as another source of information, especially for detailing examples, but not as gospel. In my opinion, every source of information is just one person's idea of how to solve a problem. As engineers, we have to decide if the information is valid for our project.

You could use the masonry design manual published by Masonry Industry of California and Southern Nevada...

National Concrete Masonry Association, NCMA. Go to their website.
Look for the drop down text box that has this written underneath it:

"Access NCMA TEK & Technical
Details online! Select locale below!"

Select your state and click on the "TEK Manual" hyperlink. There is a ton of information on masonry design. The Masonry Designers Guide is also a great reference. Between these two, you will find all the guidance you need.

The nice part about the NCMA site is it also has masonry details in AutoCAD and DXF files which you can download. Many of the details are clarifications and graphical representations of the ACI 530 code. You can click on the Details hyperlink instead of the TEK Manual hyperlink.

The best part is, EVERYTHING on the NCMA website is free!!!!!!!

I agree with concretemasonry. The Army Corps' manual is outdated. You should be using ACI 530 as the code for the design of masonry structures. Detailing masonry properly is more important than the structural design sometimes. Use the NCMA as a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back