Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural/Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

gp238

Structural
Dec 24, 2004
US
I have a reinforced (#5 @24c/c vert. & hor. on each face) concrete basement wall for a new home poured by a contractor at Amherst, NY on December 14th. The high and low temperatures on that day were 32 and 20 degree. The high & low tempreatures on the next day were 40 and 24. The water-cement ratio of concrete was 0.54 and type III cement was used with super-plastisizer and 5-8 % entrapped air, and mixed with hot water. The contractor put insulated blanket on the top portion of the wall and removed it along with the forms next day. After 7 days I tested the concrete strength of the wall by a Swiss rebound hammer. I tested at least at 20 different points and the correlated compressive strength was 1000-1200 psi. Also, when I tapped the surface of the wall by a small hammer it left a dents on the wall. When I contacted the contractor about the problem, he informed me that the concrete supplier has tested one cylinder from the batch and the 7-day strength is 2000 psi. In my opinion , the tested cylinder is not cured at the site and thus does not reflect the in-situ strength of the concrete wall. I am very worried about the basement wall and hesitant to let the builder start framing. Could you or someone please advice me.
Thanks!
gp238

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back