Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

toohotforme

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2005
ZA
Hi I would like to know from PTC user's if PTC Creo does structural modelling? (I use Inventor which I consider to be "very good" at structural & piping - I am looking for a hard-core app. that can handle very large plant assemblies - 10,000 parts - and does structural & piping in 3D parametric)
(Xeon, 48GB RAM, SSD - hardware is not an issue).

From sales literature that I have seen, they don't single structural out, whereas they do itemise piping / routing.

In no particular order here is what I would like to establish...
i.e.

1. does it have a good library of structural shapes (BS, DIN, ISO etc)
2. Does it have a "frame generator" approach? i.e. to build a 3D skeleton / frame from which one can attach structural elements of different sizes & shapes and then do all the end treatments (mitre, notch, cope, trim to face etc.)
3. Does it have gusset / web tools?
4. Can one create groups / sub assemblies on the fly? (Top level assemblies morph in to great detail as piping and walkways and cable trays are added - want to be able to suppress groups and not hundreds of individual parts)

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pro/Engineers Structural Modeling add in functionality is referred to as the Expert Framework Extension.

I did a basic search for
"ptc.com expert framework"
and came up with a bunch of links

I've attached the PTC Data Sheet .pdf for this and there is a link to a Planet PTC video showing framework in action for a simple assembly but it can do a lot more I'm sure.

Michael

[jester]
"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"
Michael Cole
Boston, MA
Follow me on ?w¡???
- @trajpar - @Shweep -
- ProE - SolidWorks -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back