Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Optimization: Ansys + Matlab to find the best shape. How to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPFREITAS

Mechanical
Sep 13, 2012
BR
Hi guys... I'm a new user in interfaces with Matlab and Ansys.
I have seen many posts and papers about this, but I didn't find a good method for this.
I need to understand the steps to implement a program to find the best shape for a dental implant.
The aim is to vary the dimensions in Matlab, send the values to Ansys APDL. Ansys solves the static analysis and sends the results to Matlab.
In the final stage we will have the best shape with the lowest Von Mises Stresses for the bone and the implant.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll assume there is some great reason why you aren't using Ansys' own optimisation routines? or a plug in?

Is the model essentially very cheap to run or do you need an efficient algorithm for the search?

Have you tried a few iterations of putting more material near the red bits and taking it out of the blue bits?

Is the structure essentially solid or are there large voids where material could be added?

Is light weight a design goal?

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Thanks for your attention, Greg Locock.
So, my project will be developed for implement a routine which will be the base for others geometries.
I will implement two codes. One will be the "Simulated Annealing" and the other, "Direct Search (Simplex)". But the functions used will be the packages already installed in Matlab. The routine and the methodology that I will write.
But, I have tried some samples with Ansys APDL directly, but the comparison of APDL code with the other codes will be a good choise for the results.
The project is a dental implant, small and simple. But have four or five components that interact with themselves.
The interface bone-implant is the problem where I need to reduce the stresses.
Minimal weight can be an objective too, but is not the main target.

How can I do it using the codes Matlab + Ansys... What files .m or dat I need to use? I don't know how to link both softwares. Thanks.

You write m files that generate text files that it runs on the ansys solver, and then pulls the results back into matlab and read the results.

So, first of all run the job in ANSYS, then examine each input file and output file, and learn how to create and read them respectively in matlab. I haven't done this in ansys so i don't know what the files are called, but it is typically not very diffiuclt to call the solver from inside matlab.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back