Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Problem When Importing Parasolid File Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphilic

Bioengineer
Nov 4, 2006
TR
Hi,

I have a structure drawn in SolidWorks and exported as parasolid format (*.x_t). Then, I wanted to use this structure in Ansys but when I tried to import it to Ansys, I just saw the contour of the drawing. I mean, for instance i drew a sphere in Solidworks and exported it, but when i import that file into Ansys, the sphere looks like a circle. It has no Area or Volume. It is just the line. Can someone help me with this, please?

Can

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the following:

- when importing, set the "Geometry Type" to Solids Only or All Geometries

- after importing the part, Ansys by defaults sets the viewer to show the wireframe of the the model; try setting the Solid Model Facets to Normal Faceting (PlotCtrls -> Style -> Solid Model Facets or /FACET,NORML)

- try also splitting your SolidWorks model into simpler volumes as sometimes Ansys have difficulties handling correctly volumes whose edges are formed by splines

- last, as long as you have the lines you can re-build your volume bottom-up by creating areas and volumes (this can be really time consuming though)

Yep Don hit this one on the head. The /FAC,NORML command should fix things. Ansys uses wireframe as the default many times. After you import do VLIST to make sure you have volumes in your session.

-Brian

Thanks guys,

I tried your suggestions however it is still the same. Now I think, it may be because of the solid structure made in Solidworks. Maybe, I should check it again. But thank you very much for your posts.

Regards,

Can

The model had some problems and i corrected it then imported in Ansys. Your tips worked correctly. Thank you guys.

Regards,

Can

Hi everyone,

I have another problem occured while importing my model into Ansysin parasolid file format. I posted this message to SolidWorks forum as well for i don't know if the problem occurs in SolidWorks or Ansys.

Anyway, I want to draw one quarter of a solid sphere. Actually, it is not a sphere but we can consider it as a sphere. I drew quarter of a circle in SolidWorks and two lines starting at the end points of quarter circle and ends intersecting at the center of the circle then i revolved it for 180 degrees. It was actually what i wanted. However, when I exported it as parasolid file then imported it into Ansys, I noticed that the tip points of the quarter sphere are not on the axises. They are like 10E-16 or 10E-18 units away but not exactly zero (not exactly on the axis). This may look tolerable but it is not actually. Does anyone have any idea about how i can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Can

Hi,

This should be a SolidWorks problem, I think. But anyway, I would also try to export and import the SAT format instead of Parasolid. I have imported complicated geometry with SAT from SolidWorks and it works just fine. All other formats have failed with my geometry!

Regards,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back