Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Slab Piping Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay1963

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2003
US
I have a project that will require a structural slab due to the soils on the site. The facility is a sausage factory and has several refrigerated spaces. Slab temperatures will not be constant. We will only be installing waste water below the slab and will include process waste as well as sanitary. I am aware that due to the settling of the soils all underground piping will have to be supported from the structural slab.
My question is are there any standards that I should look to for specifying the installation and materials for this type of construction? If not what is the best way to analyze the stresses within the piping due to the movement of the soil?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The last time I had to subsurface support a piping system we were to assume the soil will fall away in time. This of course, would leave the piping "hanging". Your only concern would be the material of the supports must be resistant to acidic soils and moisture. Galvanized or stainless. Be careful the piping is low enough below the frozen floor to keep it from freezing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back