Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Software Comparison 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrsoto

Structural
Sep 21, 2010
US
I work for a engineering company that does relatively light calcs and would like to find software that fits our engineering needs without breaking the budget. We mainly work with simply supported beams/columns and in some cases 3 or 4 support continuous beams and small frames. We work mainly with cold formed steel and hot rolled steel. Most of the shapes we analyze cannot be found in AISI or AISC shape database therefore we would like to find software that not only can build a shape but can also input that shape as a beam/column or as a member in a frame.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Right now the leading contenders are Enercalc and RISA. We have a copy of RISA 3D and found that it is useful for complex structures but calc presentation is time consuming to filter through.

-Engineer Soto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use RISA 3D and mTab-Stress w/ FeMap pre/post processor. Very pleased with RISA and their tech support is excellent.

Have used Algor, STAAD, and STAAD-Pro...

You'll get a variety of opinions here...most of them very valid for a variety of reasons...much of which is personal preference.

I'm a fan of RAM Elements. It has a pretty wide range f custom sections available. Does Enercalc allow input of frame members? Also, Enercalc is very user friendly, but does have a lot of issues.

I use Risa 3D and have for years. Works well for me. Just have to be selective with the output.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Have used Digital Canal products and am very pleased. Not for the huge robust stadium roof projects, but for less complex projects, they work well and are relatively inexpensive. They have a product which works within AutoCAD (Frame Analysis) and a standalone (VersFrame), as well as modules for timber, concrete, and footer designs. Also have utilities which analyze non-tabulated shapes--built ups plate and angle girders for example.

For quick but robust answers on simpler beam loading problems, I have found to be a useful online tool. You do have to pay a modest subscription fee for the full version, but I have analyzed indeterminate beams and trusses successfully with it.

For large quantities of similar beams in a structure, I have also had success with using spreadsheets...just be very careful in your forumlations - garbage in, garbage out.

I like the Visual Analysis programs by IES. They have several products that cover a wide range of needs. VA does not do everything, it will never replace SAP or GT Strudl, but I don't need that. I find it easy to use, affordable and the staff is very supportive and helpful.

I second DRC1's recommendation for VA. As a user for almost 6 years, it does 90% or so of what I need on a daily basis, including cold formed. For more complex structures, we use SAP or ETABS. Also, the sales and technical support from IES is second to none, in my opinion.

If you visit the website ( you can download a 30-day trial that is not "locked down" as some other vendors I have tried.

JWB

RISA is great for what you describe. Plus it is very quick and very easy.

Try this: To reduce output, you can highlight only the relevant members, joints, etc. and hit the "exclude" button on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back