Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural Steel Dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtwo

Automotive
Oct 17, 2002
US
I am looking for all feature dimensions for steel structural c channel. Looking in the Ryerson book only shows overall dimensions. I am looking for radius and taper dimensions. I know these are not held that closely but I would like to be in the ballpark.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean how the flange tapers from the web outward?That's a 2:12 slope, or 16-2/3 percent for "C" channels, and something different for "MC" channels. The AISC Manual should has that information in part 1 of the 3rd LRFD edition. I don't know about the radius.

The flange slope is as noted above.

The problem with the radius is that it apparently varies from one mill to the next- that's why they don't tabulate it. I normally come up with a radius based on the "k" values in AISC-ASD (for pictorial use). Note also that there is a radius on the tips of the channel webs which isn't tabulated anywhere. The "k" value is probably based on the largest common radius, while the tabulated section properties are probably based on the smallest common radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back