Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structural testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuche1973

Structural
Apr 29, 2008
US
Does anyone know what the final say for the US if the SE will be a merged exam? I've heard several dates 2011, 2012 and 2015. The NCEES website notes 2011 as the year for the merged exam but does not give a break down on the testing scheme. I've been an EIT for two years now and I want to start preparing for the big day and 2011 is not far away. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I read somewhere the SE1 and SE2 will be merged into a single two day 16 hour SE exam in 2010.

I think that folks that have passed both of the current NCEES 8 hour structural exams will probably be "grandfathered" by most of the jurisdictions.

The political wrangling within the various state boards, the various SE associations, NSPE, liability insurers, etc. regarding the following subjects will be quite an interesting spectacle to behold in the near to distant future:
- 16 hours of NCEES exams as a "baseline" structural competency
- the NCEES "Master's or Equivalent" (which is more truly an ABET issue)
- how the "grandfathering" provisons will be work out

I thought I had read that the new test will start fall 2010, but I can't find the link now. I'm hoping that they grandfather. I passed the SEI this past fall and plan to take the SEII this coming fall to avoid the new 16 hour exam. I'm not crazy about the additional requirements proposed by many states. I don't think they will keep people from practicing beyond their experience and knowledge, so what is the point?

sundale,
"master's or equivalent"? Is there any definite word on this requirement? I just graduated in 2007. I had to work my way through and the prospect of doing it again does not sound tempting. (I was a full-time salaried employee and maintained full-time status as a student)

NCEES says 2020 and then the state boards will take some more time to adopt this or not. The politics of actually implementing this added educational requirement are tremendous!

The "winds of change" for the licensing of structural engineers is blowing towards 16 hours of PE/SE exams and having a master's degree.

The following link gives some more info about this:

I, for one, think this would be a great idea. The undergraduate curriculum only scratches the surface of what a structural engineer needs to know to be competent. I'm not saying it can't be learned on the job. However, I think requirement beyond the current 4-year degree would do the profession well.

Maybe, requiring a master's is a bit too stringent. Perhaps, making structural engineering a 5-year program would be a good answer. Either way, I am glad I am working on my master's right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back