Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

structural welding directly on pipeline forbidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfduroch

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2003
FR
According to the ASME it is not allowed to make longitudinal welding directly on a pipeline wall.
I have seldom seen any circonferential welding directly on the external wall of a pipeline. Standard practice I have seen were to limit to butt welds only.
I could not find any standard that would forbid me to weld directly on the external side of a pipe joint (indeed I am taking about a fully qualified and ndt-ed weld).
Could someone provide me reference of a guidance, code, norm or standard that does not allow to weld structural components (such as beam, clamp, etc...) directly on pipe (ie pressure vessel)
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME B31.1 Section 121.8 and ASME B31.3 Section 321.3 define requirements for structural attachments and niether preclude welding in the longitudinal direction on the external surface. Similarly, Section UG-55 and Appendix G of ASME VIII, Div.1 provide requirements and guidelines for structural attachments and does not preclude welding directly to the shell in the longitudinal direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back