Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structure to hold a high temperatuer vessel using support lugs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

huangdf118

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2017
US
I am working on the support lug for a high temperature vessel (Di: 84 in; L(tan to tan) 120in), Temperature 1200F, Pressure 63 psi.
The shell temperature is about 1200F (650C), an insolation (12") wrappes the vessel. There is 10" cavity between the vessel and insolation. Please find the attached figure.
2_dthhs6.jpg

1_oibfwt.jpg

So, a part of "井"structure will be wrapped in the insulation. A small area of the lugs will conduct the heat to the structure through the contact areas of the lug. The lug and structure member contact at the cavity area that are estimated to be 1200F (650C). Concern about the temperature of the structure member near the lug will be high, whether or not there are right structural materials can meet this high temperature requirement? And if the structure member near lugs with high temperature can perform well to hold the loads?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are so many things that you are doing that are not anything resembling industry best practices.

Please please follow my advice on you original post - you need expert assistance.

To be blunt, what you're doing is going to result in the premature failure of an extremely hot pressure vessel. It will result in a loss of containment. Hopefully no one will die when it fails. You need expert-level help.

huangdf118, this forum is for advise and tips.
It is not for receiving highly technical instructions about something which you have never done before.
I can see two failure points to your design. There are likely many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back