Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Structures Books 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXMEEN

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2007
US
I have a collection of mechanics of materials and strength of materials books but they focus more on the basics and are not very advanced in the structures side.

If I could only have one reference book or text book that covers structures, which would you reccommend?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll bet your collection of mechanics of materials and strength of materials is more advanced than you think. It's likely that they cover all types of materials, concrete, aluminum, wood and steel, and give you basic derivations for flexure theory and deflections, stability and column behavior, and torsion. I'll even bet there's a chapter on connections (though most texts I know use rivets as examples, this is not so obsolete as you may think, the aerospace industry still uses rivets). Lastly there is likely a chapter on vibrations. A text on mechanics of materials is one of the most concise collection of topics basic to many engineering fields.

The only thing I can add to that is structural mechcanics which go into energy methods more. Or a structural analysis text for more emphasis on indeterminate structures.

If we go to all the material texts (concrete, steel, wood, etc.) you'll wind up with a stack of books and I don't think that is your goal.

Good Luck

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

goodmoses, the prestressed has externally tensioned wires though it that are released after curing, otherwise they are the same.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back