Stud Welds in ASME Section VIII-1 Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdanPV

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2019
IL
Hello all,

I would like to seek your insights on the topic of welding non-pressure bearing attachments, which do not have a load carrying function, to pressure parts. Specifically, I am interested in understanding whether such welding should be exclusively performed by an ASME Certificate Holder.

The scenario I have in mind involves stud welding between a pressure vessel shell and a small stud that is not subjected to stress due to pressure. The welding process in question employs an automatic stud welding machine.

Based on my understanding of ASME VIII-1 UW-28(c)(2), it appears that procedure qualification testing is not required for this type of weld. However, I am uncertain whether the welding itself must be conducted by an ASME Certificate Holder.

I would greatly appreciate your input on this matter and kindly request that you provide references to the relevant Code paragraph, if possible.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

Not sure if this helps but,
Even though a Procedure Qualification is not necessary per UW-28(c)(2), a WPS and subsequent WPQ's are mandatory in accordance with UW-29(b). As a matter of fact, the Welding Operators have to re-qualify at the beginning of each shift and certified records have to be kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back