Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Study in One, Practice in Another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnVEngr

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2013
US
This is my first post. I have been on this site for the past few years, mostly reading the Boil & Pressure Vessel and ANSYS posts for information about things that have plagued others over the years. However, I finally find myself with a question that I don't see anyone asking around here. If there are previous posts about this that I somehow missed, please do send them my way.

I have a degree in civil and environmental engineering. Since I graduated, I worked for about 4 years in the cryogenic tank and vessel world doing structural, thermal, and dynamic analysis for a relatively small company. About 3 months ago, a headhunter called me with an offer I just couldn't refuse. Now I work for a very large company in a world where people hold a person's degree higher than his experience and it's starting to make me worry.

I planned on taking the PE exam this upcoming April or October. I do not plan on getting a PE in civil/structural design since that is not what I've been practicing these past 4 years. Would it be odd for me to hold a PE license in mechanical systems with a BS in civil engineering? Are there any more seasoned engineers out there who are like me? Should I perhaps get a MS in mechanical engineering to "prove my worth" as a mechanical engineer?

Any and all input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's not odd at all. There is a fair amount of overlap between civil and mechanical, which makes changing fields much easier than, say, civil to electrical. I have worked with two engineers who did it the other way around, going from successful careers in mechanical engineering to successful careers in civil engineering. One had a BSME and one had an MSME and both had mechanical licenses. Both had worked in aerospace and for pump companies, but the roller coaster ride of aerospace and the boredom of pump design had both looking for alternate career paths. The biggest stumbling block to civil licensure for both of them was learning reinforced concrete design, but they got through it. I say, go for it.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

If you can convince the board that you are qualified to stand for the ME P.E. exam (which you should be able to do), and pass it, then you would be a P.E. in ME.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

I know of a couple degreed chemical engineer who are licensed as mechanical engineers in the building construction industry. Both are very successful and professionally respected in their respective post.

I also know if a degreed electrical engineer who is licensed as a mechanical engineer in the building construction industry. Also very successful and professionally respected in his post.

The best route for a particular individual is highly dependent on their specific situation and professional environment. The small amount of info given about the corporate environment makes it impossible to determine an optimal route for you, but here are some considerations:

1. It's not uncommon for a person to hold a P.E. in a discipline outside of (I prefer "beyond") their degree.
2. A P.E. is only valuable as a career-building credential if people you work with know what it is.
3. You can get a P.E. in any discipline if you can sit for the test and pass it.
4. Some states don't differentiate between PE licences in different disciplines, but you'd better stick with your area of competence or your professional career is at risk. Don't try to do structural or electrical work under your P.E. if you aren't extremely competent in those areas, for example. You put your livelihood on the line every time you apply your stamp.
5. You can get certifications in areas of specialty and post the certificates on your wall. (This might lead to questions about why no degree on the wall, though.) Once you have a nice cluster of certs, you can probably add your degree cert and it won't be as much of a centerpiece.
6. Join ASME or a more specific professional organization if you haven't already and post that on your wall.
7. Don't buy into the idea that a degree is more significant than competence (which is often and best gained by experience). That's pure B.S.
8. Anyone who is obsessed with degrees is probably woefully behind on their Continuing Education and resting heavily on their possession of a degree to offset it.
9. Holding a P.E. is always a mark of distinction and worth getting. You just add the initials after your name, not the discipline you hold it in.
10. Keep it real. The only thing that matters is: CAN YOU GET THE RESULTS AND PRODUCE THE GOODS? Read Richard Feynman's biography ("Surely You're Joking...") for an eye-opening treatment about the pitfalls of over-focusing on academics versus practice.
11. Only a fool an extremely naive person thinks that college teaches you most of what makes you valuable as an engineer or employee. (For the record, I have an engineering degree. Started ME and progressed to full-time EE work through career experience.)
12. If you're in an industry sector that's heavily code-regulated, then it would probably be very beneficial to get a license that's based on knowledge and application of the code, such as an inspector's license or contractor's license.

Thank you all for the great advice. From the comments in here and from talking to others, I've come to the conclusion that the people I work with are just silly. The few guys I work with really made me question my claim as a mechanical engineer. But even in my current position, I've been doing stress/seismic analyses as well as dabbling in some thermodynamics and pressure vessel design.

I looked at the general construct of both the structural and mechanical systems exams and came to the conclusion that I'm actually more comfortable taking the mechanical systems one. The guys I work with will find it odd and will try to talk me out of it for some reason, but it's my decision. And it seems like it's something a few of you have done or at least know of others doing, so it must not be as strange as my coworkers suggest.

Again, thanks for the advice. I plan on filling out all of that fun paperwork and applying to take the exam this upcoming fall. I'll let you all know how it goes. And I'll try to participate a little more on this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back