Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stuffing Box pressure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremechanical

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2009
CA
Could anyone please define what is Stuffing Box pressure and if it is the pressure related to service fluid being pumped or seal fluid. ( also if it is seal fluid pressure, then for plan 54 , how to know the stuffing box pressure? )

Also Second question is how to calculate pressure differential for mechanical seal please and also is this stuffing box pressure is anyway related to stuffing box pressure?

My third question is may I know the practical application of balanced and unbalanced seals?

Thanks and Regards , Extremechanical

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stuffing box pressure will depend on whether the impeller has balance holes or back pumpout vanes, but if I recall correctly the general rule for an end suction single stage pump is

Pstuffbox = Psuction + 0.25 x Pdifferential

ie, suction pressure plus 1/4 of the pump differential pressure.

1) stuffing box pressure referred to the pumped fluid pressure.
2) seal fluid pressure referred to barrier fluid for dual pressurised seal or buffer fluid pressure for dual unpressurised seal arrangement.
The difference between 1 and 2 is the differential pressure across the seal faces.
Unbalanced seal faces has lower differential pressure capability than balanced seal faces construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back