Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sub-Assemblies/BOM: Can you have the BOM show components of some, but just assy for others? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxh3

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2010
US
When doing a BOM for an assembly, is it possible to make it so that some of the subassemblies have all of their components show up, but other subassemblies show up as just one line?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the subassembly. Go to the Configurations tab. Right-click on any configuration and choose "Properties". There you will find the configuration properties that control how child components are displayed on the BOM (Hide, show, promote)

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

We're trying to figure out the same thing. Handlemans works somewhat. We need to be able to control it from the assembly. We don't want it to show up in every assembly that way. I guess we could make another config for each subassembly.

David

Depending on the version of SW you are using:

1.) Select the assembly BOM.
2.) On the left side of the BOM you will see three arrows pointing left, click on them.
3.) A fly out tool bar for the BOM will appear. There will be a minus sign in a box next to each assembly. Click on that for the assemblies you don't want components to show up for.

This method is specific to the BOM, not to the assembly or subassemblies. I think it was introduced in 2009 or 2010.

Joe Hasik, CSWP

I'll second Joe on this! If you do it in the drawing BOM then the changes are only effective to this drawing but if you do it from the assembly then it will stay this way for all drawings.

Patrick

In 2011, after you open the flyout, there is a column of part / assembly icons. Right click on the assembly icon and select component options. That pops up a menu with options for display of children.

Eric

Eric,

Does that change the state of the "Show child parts in BOM" option of the assembly? I believe OP was trying to avoid that. I'm running 2012 so I can't check the 2011 behavior.

Joe Hasik, CSWP

Time to dig up an old post!
I finally switched to 2012, and am having some difficulty with this issue as well now....sort of.
I have the BOM reflecting the HIDE/SHOW issue correctly, but my problem is within the balloons.
My "SHOW" sub-assembly is "dissolved" in the BOM correctly, and each item is ballooned with their appropriate "detail" property. (Example: A SUB of "make" parts)
My "HIDE" sub-assembly shows up as a sub in the BOM correctly, but each item is ballooned with the "detail" property, and not the SUB property. (Example: A SUB of a cylinder (body & rod))
I don't recall having this issue in previous releases...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back