Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

sub component reference set in part family assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

crecore

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2010
US
We have a part family in TC. It was created by importing the master from Native then creating all of the family parts from the master file. This method avoided imported in assemblies that may have used rogue parts that appeared like part family parts but that were not created by the master. This worked well.

Now, we have particular part family that is an assembly of several components including a wire harness of varying length. The parts function correctly except that all of the parts have one of the sub assembly parts that constantly changes to entire part reference set when used in any assembly. If you open the parts read only they look correct. Use them in an assembly, the reference set of the one part changes.

I opened the master and ensured that both sub parts were set to model ref. set and recreated all of the family parts. No change in behavior.

This is problematic because these harnesses are used in sets and when entire part ref set is toggled sketches and coordinate systems are all over in the drawing. There are ways to work around this but it is annoying and I would rather just fix it. I am unsure why this behavior is happening.

thanks,
Chad

NX 9.0.1.3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This sounds like the famous reference set BUG that even Siemens doesn't (want to) understand...

Check the information when you are in the reference set menu...
Most probably it will show that Ref Set Entire part is used for those components (even when you have changed the ref set to model afterwards).
This behavior happens when you add the component to the assembly with a certain ref set. In the information it will keep this ref set, even when you change this afterwards.
When you add this assembly as a subassembly afterwards, those components will use the ref set as it is listed in the information.

Only way to fix this is to go to your Master;
- Open the reference set menu
- from the reference set model, DESELECT all components and Add them again to Ref Set Model.
- Check the information, it should now show the correct reference sets in there.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Thanks, I have been sidetracked with other importing and now a TC and NX upgrade but I am going to try this.

NX 1847
TC 11.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back