Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sub contract machining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenbellys

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2020
GB
Ten years ago I left precision manufacturing and started in field service engineering, mainly due to a downturn in jobs. However I worked in Precision Engineering For 20 years. I’m considering starting a small machining business but was wondering if I needed to have ISO9001 To get jobs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt it, but it may open doors that wouldn't be open otherwise.
You may consider posting this question in the appropriate sub-forum at practicalmachinist.com and/or CNCZone.com.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

It really depends who you're aiming at getting business from. You'll get nothing from large companies because they'll work to ISO 9001 and will require their supply chain do the same. Mid-sized companies will likely also exclude non ISO 9001 as often they're in the supply chain for a large company.

I've never gone through it myself but I hear it's not painful. The general gist I've gotten from talking to people who have worked through it is that it is almost "decide how you're going to operate, write it down, stick to it".

You might get away without it if you're making end product (tools, your own products, repair work, etc.) but not if you're making components for other companies products.

Depends on the customer base you're looking for. I've never known a company to be disqualified from receiving POs for prototypes based on lack of quality certs, because prototypes don't follow standard quality processes. The production side tends to be anal about them however, so if that's your goal then I'd consider the certification process as a future goal.

It depends on your customer base or niche. If you are aiming at getting in with blue chip customers then I would say yes. If you aim to stay small and do work for small firms then I would say no.

NQA are good if thinking of going down ISO9001 route. My own CNC Turning company have ours with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back