Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sub Freezing temps and motor startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVX10

Electrical
Aug 18, 2006
US
I've recently experienced electric motor startup problems like high thermal temps. for motors 150hp and larger that drive well pumps. I've never had to look into the realm of sub-freezing temps creating a larger current draw on startups as I live in a milder region of the country. I would think there is a relationship between the colder temps and the work level of a motor to start. The voltage from the source is within range. Can someone shed some more light on this subject?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you using Arctic duty motors? Perhaps you should be if you are operating in severe winter conditions with prolonged sub-zero temperatures. There are several operational factors to consider. Arctic duty motors are designed for ambient temperatures as low as -70F. They have different bearing tolerances than standard motors & use grease with a synthetic based lubricant. Often the rotor shaft is made of a higher grade steel & the windings are fitted with space heaters.
If you don't have Arctic duty perhaps you could fit space heaters into your existing motors & see if that helps any?

I think you need to define "high thermal temps" a little better for us, as well as how you are determining this on a submersible pump (if it is indeed submersible). I have worked on cryogenically cooled submersible LNG pump systems (-200C), the starting issues were not significantly different than normal.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Grease is the major problem that you will have at cool temps. By the way how cools is it?

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back