Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Submersible Barge Ballasting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken777

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2008
US
Hi,
I moved in from Offshore Oil & Gas industry and am new to the marine industry.
Please assist to point me in the right direction as I am preparing an operation manual for a submersible barge to be used for launching vessels (the barger as well as the vesses to be launched are being constructed by the yard I work for). I need some pointers especially in ballasting of the barge and winching on / off the load (i.e. the vessel to be launched). Thanks.
Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ken

Try searching for 'Dockwise yacht transport systems'. They use semi-submersible barge technology to transport cargo. (Used to be called dockexpress.) I don't know anything about the ballast technology but they use manual labour for loading and unloading. Float on/Float off.

I worked on setting up operations manual for deepwater floaters and the procedure is kind of straight forward:

Step 1: Establish geometry of all the ballast tanks and find out permeability data for each tank.

Step 2: Establish hydrostatics for the vessel i.e.,Inplace Stabilty curves & Tank Damage Stability curves & also the tank sounding tables

Step 3: Based on your tank soundings figure out GM corrections for the Free Surface Effects

Step 4: Based on your Intact and Damage Stability Analysis establish Allowable Center of Gravity for each seastate, i.e, based on your wind speed

Step 5: Based on your allowable center of gravity data, set limitations on the cargo you can launch and also the proper seafastening arrangements for transport etc.

If you are looking for information on Launching of structures from the barge, depending on your tow route and the cargo mass properties I guess you need address this on a case by case basis using dynamic stability simulation software like MOSES or DeepC or any other ship stability related softwares.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back