Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Submittal Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelPE

Structural
Mar 9, 2006
US
I have a project that is under construction where the GC is using a ProCore to track submittals. Great, however, they are tagging me on every single submittal they send to the architect. I'm talking about ceiling grids, lights, panel textures etc. I don't respond to these submittals then I get reminders every day saying that I need to review and approve the submittals.... quite annoying.

I am toying with the idea of approving the submittals (because I have no other option that won't generate other issues and then add a comment to the approved document "Not is engineering scope of work" or something like that. What are others doing when faced with similar situations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would send them (contractor and architect) a note to remove you from their list, except for structural items, else you will block all submittals and only reply to submittals sent by the architect.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I don't think there is a way for me to filter the submittals that are given to me for review. Responsible parties for review are set up by the person who submits them to us (enters the submittals into the software). I think they are just being lazy and having everyone review everything.

I usually ask to get taken off these submittals. Whenever we start a project using Procore and it's a new person sending us stuff they always do this.

If it's just one or two here and there I just click VOID and say non-structural. I would never in a million years approve something just to get it off your screen though. That is a liability nightmare if something goes wrong.

There is an "Assigned To" category and a "Distribution List" category. If it isn't meant to be reviewed by you, they should be putting you on the "Distribution List" to get FYI notifications when the RFI is created or closed, or they should not tag you at all. The GC probably put you under the "Assigned To" category, which generates the reminders.

I spend a few hours every month dealing with GC admins resolving Procore issues. Death by a thousand paper cuts.

I usually ask to get taken off these submittals. Whenever we start a project using Procore and it's a new person sending us stuff they always do this.

I'd go further. I'd tell the contractor that if they don't correct the problem, I'm going to treat each submittal that is not part of my normal scope of work as an RFI and bill them (and the client) for reviewing it.

Believe me, I don't like using the word approved, but when there is a submittal that I am responsible for that is the only word I can use in Procore. I have also been putting notes in the comment sections " Reviewed with Comments". Since these items are not part of my review I will try the "Void" "not structural scope" route.... and maybe follow up with the GC about the issue.

There is approved, approved as noted, void, revise and resubmit, for record only, and a few other ones I never use. I'm voiding everything that's not related to my stuff at all and using FRO any other things that are semi related.

Just a caution... with that approach, you may be exposing yourself to added liability.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I always use 'reviewed' in lieu of 'approved' and 'inspected', and 'released' instead of 'issued'.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Dik, I was going to make the same comment.
I haven't spent much time in Procore, but my entire career it's been drilled in to me that I should never "approve" a shop drawing, "Reviewed" is the best I can offer.
Has anybody chatted with their lawyer about how to address the problem within the confines of Procore?

Great points, that has always bothered me about Procore. Our lawyer has always said to avoid the word approve, but Procore doesn't give a lot of options.

part of an eMail to one of my clients a week ago... He sent two similar projects and I let him know that I would be treating these as two different projects.

Clipboard01_f5cv3n.jpg

-----*****-----

-Dik

I'm with Josh. Just because you bill them for the time it takes you to open the email, read the entire submittal, decide there's nothing Structural, hit void, and then tell them doesn't mean you take on liability for it.

Good GCs will work with you to resolve it. If not, make them feel it in the only place they care about.

It also may reduce their liability a tad...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back