Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Subsea Structures - Fishing Gear Interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAxe

Mechanical
May 13, 2013
GB
I am trying to write a summary of options for subsea structures (manifolds etc). Obviously we can have a piled structure or a gravity based structure. Is there a design code that gives an overview of the options for dealing with fishing gear snagging? From research so far I have come across 'Over-trawlable' structures, which deflect the fishing gear, and also 'fishing friendly' structures, is this the same thing? Are there other options? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

'Overtrawlable' is different to 'Fishing friendly' in terms of the qualifications required for an overtrawlable structures-its more onerous. Have a look at the NORSOK code listed above

Thanks Chaps. Yeah I've been reading through Norsok but it makes no mention of 'fishing friendly' sructures? I haven't yet got a copy of the ISO-13628 codes but have requested from doc control. Thanks again

Overtrawlable structures have a profile which allows trawl gear to pass over the structure without getting snagged. Fishing loads are reduced, but not eliminated.

Fishing friendly are typically non overtrawlable so fully snag trawl gear. This leads to higher fishing loads. A fishing friendly structure is designed so the envelope has no protrusions. This allows the fishing vessel to back the nets off after snagging the structure and free itself.

Non fishing friendly would snag nets and there would be no way for the vessel to free them.

Sometimes structures are located within an exclusion zone so fishing interaction is not considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back