Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Substance to clean components to help stop electrical tracking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2000
US
Can I use Isopropyl alcohol to clean particle contaminants to prevent tracking? it is 15kV gear. Does anyone have better suggestions? seems like I cannot use denatured alcohol due to toxic safety.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IPA is fairly gentle to the plastics commonly used in switchgear, in comparison with most other organic solvents. If it removes the contamination then go ahead. I would caution that it may turn particulate contamination into a contiguous film, which may actually be worse. Can you use a vacuum cleaner and dry wipes instead?

Ethanol is sometimes denatured with isopropyl alcohol...IPA of that type isn't free of a toxic hazard. Of course methanol is even more frequently used and it's a little nastier. But again, not a huge toxic risk either way.

Some other IPAs are quite drinkable, if you like hops...and they contain alcohol which isn't denatured. But if you were to use them for cleaning, you'd definitely insult the brewmaster.

India Pale Ale is a terrible cleaner, but if administered TO the cleaner in sufficient volume, has the effect of making the cleaner person declare that it's fine.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Be aware that any alcool contain water traces. Acetone is stronger and may attack paint and plastic components, but dries fast. Use of a certified dielectric cleaner is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back