Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Substation authorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphChristie

Electrical
Jun 25, 2002
ZA
It is my responsibility to declare people authorized to do work in substations on our mine. Normally it is not a problem, the persons working in the substations is qualified electrical artisans, they do get some training on the safety, the relevant procedures, the operating principles, the equipment, etc. After a year's training with other authorized personnel, they need to write a type of exam that includes the following:

Application of the Regulations prescribed by the Mine Health and Safety Act.
Applications of prescribed corporative and section safety regulations according to electrical work.
Knowledge of the current Electrical Distribution Network in the mine
Protection principles on the Electrical Equipment used.
Practical tests regarding the type of work they are going to do, like for instance electrical switching.

My problem is to authorize personnel with no electrical experience/knowledge to do certain work in the substations, like servicing air-conditioning units. It is a waste to send a qualified electrical person every 3rd day to do babysitting, while we can utilize him/her better.

My initial thought was:
Let these persons write an exam regarding safety in substations.
They still need to inform the relevant supervisor if they are going to do work in substations.
They still need to do a proper risk-assessment on the job they are going to do.
In their appointment letter I will clearly state that they are only allowed to do for instance servicing work on air-conditioning units, and are not allowed to work on any thing else, like electrical panels.

What do you think? Yes or No?
Any other thoughts?

Regards
Ralph

[red]Failure seldom stops us, it is the fear for failure that stops us - Jack Lemmon[/red]

Make the best use of Eng-Tips.com
Read the Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have a QWHO (Qualified Worker - Hands Off) class that everybody has to attend (and isn't an electrical worker) before being authorized to be in a substation.

Welcome back, haven't seen you around in far too long.

Thanks for the responses, David and Zogzog:

To answer your question Zogzog:

Voltage up to 66kV present in the yard, although only up to 11kV present inside the buildings.
No exposed live parts in the buildings, and outside all exposed live parts are out of reach.

Thanks
Regards
Ralph

[red]Failure seldom stops us, it is the fear for failure that stops us - Jack Lemmon[/red]

Make the best use of Eng-Tips.com
Read the Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back