Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Substation Transformer best choice 10 MVA 4160v to 69KV wye

Status
Not open for further replies.

triage

Electrical
Apr 6, 2005
US
Hello all,
We are making an interconnect application for a 7.5MW, three phase synch generator which outputs 4160vac. Our interconnect is to a rural coop line which is 69KV. The coop has requested that we specify a 10,000 KVA substation transformer which will make a 4160v Delta - 69KV Wye connection into their transmission. They request the impedance and specs of this transformer.

May I request a recommendation for the best choice supplier / option for this substation transformer and a reference where I can get the nameplate ratings, impedance, connection diagrams, etc?
regards, Triage

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most manufacturers won't give you definite nameplate details until manufacture/testing, but I'd go to Virginia Transformer, CG-America (formerly Pauwels), Alstom Grid, ABB, Howard, and Waukesha. Someone may have others they work with too. I know there is Pacific Crest Transformers and PTI (Partner Technologies Inc.) that may fit the mold as well. Cooper Power will only go to the 46 kV voltage class on a substation transformer. Oh, Siemens maybe also makes a power transformer that might work out for you.

This is a "sweet spot" for Virginia Transformer, they are selling a TON of units around this size in westnern ND for the oil field growth. Their pricing is very good in this range. I've seen their quality vary but I know that they are easy to work with usually too if you run into issues. Most of the issues I knew of they have taken care of.

Start on the company's website. Usually they will have a link or somewhere you can find out who the rep is for your area. Contact the rep to get started for quoting or other information.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back