Subsurface (buried) or surface (on ground) HF-antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfmobile

Electrical
Sep 7, 2004
DE
Hi,

I would like to find some information on subsurface (buried) or surface (on ground) HF-antennas.

With regards

Andy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of my antenna books has an article (six and one-half pages) on that subject. Here is the reference:

The ARRL Antenna Compendium, Volume 1 (copyright 1985), Page 133: 'Subsurface Antennas and the Amateur', by Richard Silberstein, W0YBF

The article (above) itself contains some references that I'll copy here:

6. Wheeler, H.A., "Useful Radiation from an Underground Antenna", Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 65D, p. 89-91, January-February 1961.

9. Fenwick, R.C. and W.L. Weeks, "Submerged Antenna Characteristics", IEEE Trans. AP-11, p/ 296, May 1963.

10. Entzminger, J.M. Jr., T.F. Treadway and S.H. Talbot, "Measured Performance of Subsurface Dipoles", RADC-TR-69-221, Technical Report June 1969, NTIS No. AD690609.

13. Bussey, H.E. and E.B. Larsen, "Buried Antenna Performance. Development of Small Resonant Buried Antennas", RADC-TR-74-169, June 1974.

That should be enough to get you started.

Buried HF antenna was a hot topic (well, maybe it got to luke warm...) back in the 'duck-and-cover' days of civil defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back