Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subsurface delamination in graphite/epoxy laminates 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxheng

Aerospace
Jul 21, 2005
SG
Hi

Does anyone know how to artificially create subsurface delamination in graphite/epoxy laminates? My intention is to create test specimens for evaluating the effectiveness of laser shearography.

I tried to embed a layer of anti-wetting agent in between laminates, but failed to create delamination. Hope there is someone does similar things before.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Asked our composites guy about this and he suggests introducing mylar into the layers. Check the heat rating of the mylar you use to make sure that it is sufficient for your bonding temperature (it is available in different grades).

Hope this helps.

We use teflon bond tool surfacer.
It is a self adhesive teflon liner.
This works for us.

Rerig.

You can (and IMHO) should use a variety of materials to create inclusions, delams, porosity, etc., for testing NDT apparatii.

Backing film, teflon tape, bagging film, flash breaker tape, release film, pieces of latex gloves and even masking tape are good candidates. I suggest using multiple layers in different spots as you will find different materials interact with your prepreg creating different conditions and results for your apparatus to see.
eg. (1) one .25"x.25" layer of backing film in one location and (2) two .25"x.25" layers stacked in another. (Size to vary based on sensitivty of evaluating method)

My personal experience is two layers of Teflon will easily create a classic NDT Delam detectable with ultrasonic techniques in both honeycomb and solid laminate constructions in the size shown above. I have had to use bigger pieces for some techniques due to probe size, location, etc.

Also consider other contaminants such as oils, lotions, foaming adhesives, powder from latex gloves, debris from teflon coated gloves, etc. to create other types of issues. Powdered teflon gives great porosity results particularly if you get it to clump in your laminate.

Please note: My recommendations here are to show what is likely to find its way into a part during fabrication and create a defect described as a "delamination" by an NDT technician. In fact every one of the artificial methods really creates an inclusion/contaminant that is detectable due to the delamination signal. Consider putting in an inclusion and then fatiguing the part to "grow a delam" through interlaminar stresses.

Bets of luck.

Composites and Airplanes - what was I thinking?

There are gremlins in the autoclave!

> Composites and Airplanes - what was I thinking?

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking to use low velocity impact loading to create delamination. However I am not sure if this will create dents on the surface, which will defeat the purpose of evaluating the effectiveness of NDT.

Has anyone tried this method before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back