Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suction of hydrochloric acid gas away from work area

Status
Not open for further replies.

nektarios128

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2006
GR
In an industry that produces PVC tubes i want to suck the HCL gas that is produced near the machines away from the building.
Now thw industry uses two big fans on the roof sucking the air (and the HCL gas) of the room out of the building but this is not enough.
Do i have to use plastic fins for the new fans ?
Also i am thinking of using tubes near to the machines to drive the HCL gas out through the fans.
Any suggestion ?
Book, article, company, etc. to find something ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is that REALLY allowed? Aren't you supposed to run the exhaust through a scrubber?

You definitely want materials that will not be attacked by HCl. Any moisture sucked in with the HCl will give you an acid that will eat your metalwork. Your fan motor itself will need to be protected.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

There is only a small amount of HCL produced from the undesired degradation of PVC during processing. It should be mainly addressed with point pick-up and hoods located right at the machine where any fumes are generated so they are captured before they get into the room air.

I've been trying to find some sort of threshold on HCL generation dilution minimums but have been unable to do so. I find it unlikely that every high school lab in the fifty states must be retrofitted w/ a scrubber for their HCL usage. Does anyone have any idea on min levels/dilutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back