Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

suggest and guide me to something good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdullahkhan2023

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2023
PK
i'm a graduate mechanical and now i want to keep myself updated with new modern trends in mechanical field...please suggest me some good tools, learning materials, upon which should i focus more?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best tool you have is your employer. If you're not working at a large company with dedicated research teams then you really have no way of following what modern technology actually allows. Major improvements commonly take years to become economically feasible for production, and until they are generally aren't publicized. That said, research staff do float between similarly research-focused companies so competitors often know each others' secrets while the public doesnt.

If you'd like to follow tech in current production (developed ~5-15 years ago) then I'd ensure your purchasing dept is inviting you to new supplier pitches and that you're subscribed to the industry rags.

This forum and others are good sources of information. There are also several publications that will keep you up to speed. My favorite is Machine Design magazine.

Depends on the company. If your company is focused on being the lowest-cost provider, they probably don't have any serious R&D. Their products are likely cheapened knock-offs of the new stuff their competitors developed. There is design merit in cost-reducing products - but is that what you want? Or your company produces new products and there is some R&D you can get aligned to.

If you don't have a company, pay attention to new technologies. AI right now is smoking hot but the connections to existing industries are just beginning. I think we are on the verge of some amazing things happening and huge opportunities in people who focus on solving the inherent risks/problems with this technology and also those who find novel ways to apply it.

There are trade magazine's for just about every subject you can think of, and most are free.
Some are Machine Design, Manufacturing Engineering, Forming and Fabricating, NASA Tech Briefs, Motion Control, and on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back