Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for archiving scanned files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jartgo

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2005
US
Good Afternoon,
My firm is going through a process to scan and toss paper files. I know there is plenty of debate surrounding this topic, however, I'd really like to focus on the question at hand versus the debate of whether or not this is a prudent practice.

We have a lot of drawings that could really be filed in multiple places, so I wondered if there is a program that allows "tagging" of the files and then searching for tags. For example, I use Evernote quite a bit and it will let me take a note that I create (whether it's a picture, a text note, a pdf, a webpage, etc.) and attach "tags" or ideas to it. So, I might have a note that contains design criteria for a pump station in Town of Sewerville. So, I might tag this note with the following: "sewer" "pump station" "design guides" & "Town of Sewerville." Then, when I search for the tag word "sewer" this note and all other notes that I've tagged with "sewer" will populate the list.

Likewise, we have a lot of documents and plans that we've scanned which aren't necessarily associated with any particular project, but might be useful in varying instances. So, I'm looking for a good way to organize this electronic data, while harnessing the power of a computer. What are your suggestions?
jartgo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Develop an archiving plan that includes retrieval by job number. Keep in mind that many states require that you keep a hard copy of signed/sealed documents for a certain period of time. For my state it is a minimum of 3 years. Other states vary.

I don't intend to sound condescending, but yes, there are indeed things that do this function. They're called "databases." Sounds to me like you need to get one license of Microsoft Access and tell your intern to start doing the tutorials.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

I applaud the effort, it may be a never ending job though. I our office, we have over 2000 boxes of files and each box is indexed in a database. the current database printout is 3,600 pages long. Occasionally we are able to retrieve the correct files from storage...

There are file management systems out there. Our company is fairly big with multiple offices, so this is a necessity. I'm not marketing the one we use, as it has its quirks, but they all do. I don't think you'll have to look very hard to find some. Or talk to your clients or even your friendly competition (not people who hate you).
I would set up a system with the state, then the client name and project number and plant the project related files under the project number. For the common files, I would put them in a useful place where it's easy to remember where they are. If they're survey information for Sewerville, put them in the Sewerville Folder (see above), but not under a project number, under General. If they're state related information, like details, put them under the state.
As far as having interns do your set-up, we tried that and are still paying for it. Like having 20 volumes of design notes with the same title. This is important and needs motivated people, not ones who are leaving in three months. Don't cheap out.

Our IT department likes things scanned at 200 dpi... I generally use 400 dpi and sometimes 600 dpi depending on the file... drive space is cheap and 200 dpi is way too coarse. I generally filename the drawing by project number and drawing number. The drawing number, title, etc. (can have 4 distinct cells for drawing title) is stored in an excel spreadsheet with a cross-reference to client's filename and dtawing number. Quite often they are different. I also include a revision number with the filename. These are collectively stored in the project number folder (directory). Haven't lost anything in years...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back