Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for Pro/E user moving to SW? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

engrnick

Mechanical
May 19, 2010
US
hi all,

I'm learning how to use SW, and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to become a better modeler. (or any references to learning how to be faster)

anyone?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Practice, practice, practice!

Start with the built-in tutorials.
Read the Help files.
YouTube has loads of examples.
The SW bloggers often have some great tips.
SolidProfessor and igetit offer relatively inexpensive online tutorials.
Just push buttons to see what happens.

How to become a better modeler? That's not anything specific to Pro/E or SW. That's just good planning and good sense.

As far as learning SW goes, basically, you will need to learn to lighten up pn the need to fully constrain everything. SW doesn't require it, and that can actually help the design process.

I guess I want a better workflow. Modeling is not a problem, I've learned after 14 years of Pro/E.

I think the constraining things is my problem.. I'm constraining everything til it becomes black in my sketches. I've heard about that; so you're saying it's not important?! won't it cause crashes later on down the line?

Also, when I put an assembly together, I want all the planes visible, all mates assigned, and find it bothersome whenever I need to alter their mates (#view mates, #edit feature, delete mate, #mate, enter enter)

also, I miss the center click feature of Pro/E. it makes things a million times faster than in SW.

Do you keep your hand on the keyboard? Which keys do you all assign for your mapkeys/macros? Maybe someone can share their macro file?

Thanks!

The things that make or break a CAD jockey aren't specific to any specific product. If you were successful in Pro/E, you can carry that over into SW. (I did.)

Keep your eyes open to differences. Not every difference is a disadvantage. The true craftsman uses all of the tools characteristics (even the unintended ones) to his advantage.

I agree completely, I've invested quite a bit into SW (not just money, but time), and I'm trying to find ways to become faster.

There's lots of good things about SW, I just need more tips on how to become more efficient with my movements.

Are you using the S key shortcut? Extensive customising for each mode (sketch, part, assy and drawing) can eliminate the need for the Command Manager (the ribbon) and many toolbars. That can save a lot of mouse movement ... and screen real estate.

What does the center click feature of Pro/E do? Is it similar to the right mouse button in SW?

Hi, engrnick:

What is "the center click feature of Pro/E"? There is no such a thing that is a million times faster than in SW.

Cheers!

The center click in Pro/E is a huge time-saver.. I'm looking for something similar in SW. the closest I've found is the escape key, but then you have to re-click the feature you want.

-in sketcher mode, once you've finished a tool, it cancels and brings you back to the pointer
-in line drawing tool, it ends the line you're working on
-in feature edit, it selects the highlighted default selection
-it pushes the "OK/finish" button on a lot of features and drops you back to the main window
etc.

I like it because I don't have to let go of the mouse or need any hand commands. I hope someday to be as efficient in SW as i am in Pro. :/

CorBlimeyLimey, I will try the s-key.

hey, the S-key is handy, like a secondary context menu.

Also does anyone know of any way to select faces underneath the current face? Similar to cycling the right-click feature in Pro..

I've been trying to select faces directly under the top surface, and the only way I've found is "Select Other", but i'm looking for a faster way to get the interior surface of a box.

Icons can be added to the S key via RMB > Customize. Just drag and drop new icons to and from the S key box.

Select Other is the only way to drill through faces below the cursor. When mating or selecting hidden faces the Isolate function is invaluable.

As far as learning SW goes, basically, you will need to learn to lighten up pn the need to fully constrain everything.

You would not get an "A" in my class.
There are times, but very rare I would not require fully constraining.

A star to TheTick for that response. In general I agree with rollupswx and wouldn't recommend to anyone to leave things unconstrained... but can concede that some swoopy stuff might need to be left floating.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

During World War One, the RAF lost dozens of pilots training in Sopwith Camels due to the high torque characteristics of the engine. Many a ham-fisted pilot had gone into a death-spiral due to mishandling this characteristic.

However, many veteran pilots found this to be a very useful characteristic. With a little practice, these pilots could take advantage of the torque characteristics to get their planes to snap into surprisingly tight turns, enabling the Camel pilots to shake off enemies and subsequently get on Jerry's tail.

The things that can kill a newbie can be the same things that help ensure a long and prosperous career for the aces.

engrnick, along with the s key, check out mouse gestures. I also use keyboard shortcuts, macros, and have used a gaming mouse at times with extra programmable buttons and a 3d connection space navigator in the left hand.

diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back