Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suggestions for socket protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdxcool

Electrical
Apr 7, 2016
IN
Hi. I am using a motorized AC power cable reel for my electric charging station. The AC cable reel uses a industrial socket which is connected to the plug in the vehicle. I am facing an issue here. The socket gets damaged with frequent usage as it brushes against the road. To solve this I was thinking of a something like circular ring roller around this socket with ball bearings so that the socket doesnt brush the road and only the roller would get damaged which can be replaced. Can anyone suggest something like this available in the market or online or please let me know if there are better ideas .

Attached a picture of the socket being used.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=193848ca-282c-4889-bdae-3f2ca56ebe8c&file=KM_091-159-CON-3P-120-2.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm thinking a piece of old firehose lashed around the socket. I think it gets discarded when the liner starts to get brittle, so you may be able to scrounge a big piece just for the asking.

My first thought was retaining it with a hose clamp or two, but they're very easy to overtighten, so there's some danger of cracking the socket or cutting the cable insulation. Maybe some RTV sealant on the inside of the hose, which can be peeled off with relative ease, especially if you use the cheap filled stuff that's sold for house caulking. Plus seize the ends with some fat twine.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Bobdxcool:
I’d unplug the darn thing before you drive the car. That way the plug won’t be dragging on the road. :) You could unplug the supply and hold it while you walk back to the cable reel and then wind it up. You could mount the cable reel immediately over the plug in the vehicle. Then you only have to pull the cable down and it never touches the road. You could use something akin to the wire or plastic cage/basket around the old safety light, which can clamp over but slide on/up the cable beyond the industrial socket. Push it up the cable 6-8" while charging, then slide it back down over the industrial socket when you drag it across the driveway. They make these out of red or yellow plastic to protect strings of lighting on construction sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back