Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions: Import Abaqus/Explicit Stresses/Strains but NOT deformed mesh for part instance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjd150

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2013
US
Hi All,

I have a very specific (but weird) problem I'm trying to solve but have no clue how to accomplish this using CAE. I've included a schematic to help describe my problem.

Basically, I'm modeling the straightening of a complex shaped wire in Abaqus/Explicit (see the left diagram in my figure). The wire starts out with some complex shape and is meshed with Timoshenko beams. Next, I straighten the wire using an Explicit analysis (assumed to be quasi-static).

Now here's my problem. I want to be able to import the stresses/strains in the now straightened wire from this first analysis and impose them on a new, perfectly straight wire, with the same number of elements, in a new Explicit analysis (see the right diagram in the firgure). One way to accomplish this is by defining a Predefined State > Initial State on the new, straight wire which is all fine and good. BUT, the problem with this is that the Initial State also imports the deformed mesh from the 1st analysis, so no matter where my new straight wire is located, the Initial State forces the new straight wire to take on the same nodal positions of the wire from the 1st analysis.

So my question is: I want to be able to position my new wire anywhere in space but still be able to import those stresses/strains from the previous analysis and impose them on my new mesh without moving it; what's the best way to accomplish this?

Thank you.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=16d8ce76-6288-4adc-b6be-4ba62765117a&file=Picture1.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back