Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suitable cleaning agent for gold switch contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bannerman

Electrical
Sep 25, 2006
GB
We are struggling to find a suitable cleaning agent for Gold flashed contacts used in our electronic switches for a particular application.

We currently are using 99.7% pure Ethanol which seems to be causing problems during tempreture/humidity cycling (85% RH) of the switching unit during life tests. Small dark patches appear on the gold contact pill surface.

My suspicions are around the lack of purity in the Ethanol i.e. there are traces of Water, Methanol & Iso-propanol.
Has anyone got any idea what we may be seeing and how we could solve it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's not the gold corroding. Probably either porosity in the gold flash or some contact roughness wearing away the gold. Not sure of your application, but for typical contacts, the minimum gold electroplating is at least 20 micro-inch (0.8 microns), about 3x as thick as the decorative flash of 0.15 microns mentioned.
So maybe, the ethanol is providing an accelerated corrosion test that may save you from parts failures months later, out in customers parts.

I'm not sure of the testing conditions, but you cannot expect ethanol to not absorb water in high humidity.

Consider palladium plating instead of gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back